NORTHEASTERN SPEECH-LANGUAGE-HEARING ASSOCIATION OF PENNSYLVANIA (NESHAP)
YEAR 2018 UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
NESHAP will be offering an undergraduate student scholarship for the 22nd consecutive year. NESHAP is happy to announce a $1000.00 scholarship to be awarded at our spring 2018 workshop.
In order to be eligible, a student:
· must be a first or second semester Junior majoring in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology at the time of application.
· must be attending one of the institutions in our geographic area (Bloomsburg University, East Stroudsburg University, Marywood University or Misericordia University).
· must be a full-time student, a member of local or national NSSLHA, and have at least a 3.3 QPA.
Students applying must submit all of the following requirements:
· a cover letter (NOT A LIST) containing contact information (address, phone number, email address) and stating all the contents of the application.
· proof of the following: full-time status and first or second semester Junior status. Obtain a letter from your department chairperson or academic advisor on the institution's letterhead addressing each item stated above.
· proof of current NSSLHA membership (either local or national).
· proof of activity level (officer, committee chairperson, committee member) within
local NSSLHA. Obtain a letter from your chapter's NSSLHA advisor stating
· a transcript (official or unofficial) reflecting performance through the Fall 2017 semester. This transcript must include your cumulative QPA.
· two current letters of recommendation written by professionals in the speech-language pathology or audiology field.
· an essay addressing one of the following topics:
a) the impact you will have on your chosen profession upon completion
of your final degree (Master's or Doctorate)
b) the importance of the speech-language pathology or audiology
c) why you deserve to be awarded this scholarship.
This essay must be typed and double-spaced. It may not exceed two pages.
· a statement indicating whether or not you grant permission to have your essay in its entirety appear on NESHAP’s website (http://neshap.org/index/). Only the essay of the winning recipient will appear.
If information is missing from the initial application or if information is received after the deadline, disqualification will automatically occur.
Please prepare single (merged) electronic PDF document that contains the above items, in the order listed. This PDF must be emailed to email@example.com with the subject line: LASTNAME FIRSTNAME NESHAP SCHOLARSHIP
In order to be eligible, this information must be received on or before 14 March 2018. The recipient of this scholarship will be announced at NESHAP's spring workshop. It is not necessary for the scholarship recipient to be present.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Smith at 570-389-5371 or any member of the scholarship committee (Kathy Carlton 610-759-4212, Eileen Puglia 570-385-6731, Elaine Shuey 570-422-3681, Pam Smith 570-389-5371 or Dave Spivak 610-967-3746.)
Use of Scholarship
NESHAP trusts that the scholarship money will be used toward your education in some manner. The purchase of course related or professional books, speech-language pathology tests or therapy materials or payment toward tuition, laboratory fees, or other educationally related fees would be acceptable uses of this money.
Documentation of Scholarship Usage
The scholarship recipient must provide NESHAP with documentation prior to 31 December 2018 regarding the use of the scholarship money. This documentation should be sent to Dr. Smith. The address can be found above in the section titled Procedure.
Pamela Smith, Ph.D.
NESHAP Scholarship Committee, Chairperson
PREVIOUS RECIPIENTS AND THEIR UNIVERSITIES ARE:
2016 Samantha Buldo, Misericordia
2015 Kate Lebo, Marywood
2014 Laura Drake, Marywood
2013 Lauren Olsen, Marywood
2012 Heather Romanow, Marywood
2011 Elizabeth Schneider, Marywood
2010 Molly Correl, Misericordia
2009 Jessica Williams, BU
2008 Kristina McCreesh, KU
David J. Flynn, BU
2007 Grace Bauer, KU
2006 Heather Applebaum,KU
2005 Lauren Keil, KU
Mary Bauman, BU
2004 Rachel Panas, KU
2003 Michelle Brennan, BU
Dana Morse, KU
2002 Rebecca Yocum, KU
Lisa Reppert, KU
2001 Dayna Gulden, BU
Regina Illig, KU
2000 Jennifer Lantz, BU
Heather Boyd, KU
1999 Jennifer Strauss, KU
Gina Lasky, KU
1998 Amy Hunter, BU
Megan Kindt, BU
1997 Roseanne Billone, KU
Suzanne Hartman, ESU
1996 Denise Pizzarro, ESU